Stripes

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Powerful Day


I admit.  I can be a bit self-centered at times.  I grew up an only child and not that it's an excuse, it’s just the name of the game.  So, I have a bit of a self-centered wish.  I witnessed one of the most amazing experiences today and I pray that it isn’t the last time I visit.  Living in Memphis certainly has its disadvantages.  The lack of nature and scenery, segregation and crime (have I mentioned there was a double homicide two blocks over in my neighborhood last week?).  Among all the bad there are some very special aspects of Memphis that I would put up against Time’s Square, the Washington Monument or the Grand Canyon any day. One of which I visited today. 

St. Jude Children’s Hospital.  It literally brings tears to my eyes to try and articulate some of the images I saw today.  My team at work went and took a two hour tour (which I demand anyone do that lives near Memphis) today.  Obviously I couldn’t take pictures to post on this blog, but I can tell you what I experienced.  Among many memorable images: multiple waiting rooms filled with patients under 18, barf bag holders, funny sayings everywhere, inspiring artwork covering the long hallways, a baby sister carrying her big sister on her back because she was too weak to walk, unimaginable hope and courage, parents pulling their toddlers in wagons with masks covering their tiny faces and a mother carrying her 10 year old like a baby after an intense round of chemo because he was too sick to walk. 

I found myself at that back of my group almost all morning.  Almost too much for me to take in.  I don’t remember everything our sweet tour guide unveiled to us because I was so busy watching all of the magic.  It’s incredible.  Living in Memphis you hear so much about St. Jude…everywhere you go they ask you to donate money to St. Jude…and you do because you’re a Memphian.  But until today I didn’t really know why it was so important for me to add on that extra dollar to my Fresh Market bill or even more importantly, give my time at Make-A-Wish to honor these sweet individuals. 

My self-centered wish is obviously to take a trip to this incredible hospital and give your money, time or talents to this sacred place.  Or, just find something that is important to you or that makes your spirit tick and donate your time or money to it.  Then go visit and see where your hard earned dollars go or what your time means to that organization.  I promise you this…it’s better than any vacation you will ever take, more encouraging that buying a house or a car and it makes going to work every day that much easier.  We’ve got it made….so be thankful.

Want to visit?

2 comments:

  1. this makes me so happy! i have visited there many times and each time is more and more special! thank you for posting such a sweet message!

    ReplyDelete