Stripes

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Straight Hair Minus the Heat

Have I mentioned I did this?
This treatment is AAAAmazing!  My hair is seriously hard to deal with and especially in the summer.  Three weeks before I did this treatment, my hair was in a pony tail every day because the humidity had it out of control and not to mention it felt like straw.  I really struggled committing to one of these treatments for several reasons:
1.        I’ve heard a lot of scary accusations about the chemicals involved.  The rumor that it contains formaldehyde is not 100% true.  However, it does contain chemicals that if heated to a certain temperature, they can convert to formaldehyde.  There was a big stink (no pun intended) that came out about it and wanted to pull it off the market, but the company was able to prove that the amount of chemicals in the straightening product was miniscule.  They also provide that if used in a well-ventilated area, they would not be harmful.  Let’s be honest here though…did you really think a semi-permanent straightening treatment wasn’t going to have some chemicals in it?  When you get to the point that I was at…YOU DON’T CARE!
2.       It’s expensive…period.  The price depends on how long it actually takes on your hair.  Obviously if you have longer hair it will cost a bit more. 
3.       The Brazilian Blowout is product specific.  You cannot wash your hair with any products containing sulfate or sodium chloride.  Supposedly these are cleansing chemicals that most shampoos contain to give you all those suds.  However, if you have dry or damaged hair, they can add fuel to the fire.  A lot of companies have tried saying sulfate-free products are better for you and more organic.  Supposedly sulfate gives you cancer, but what doesn’t?  Sulfate-free products are pretty easy to find.  Right now I am just using the BB products, but found some sulfate-free products at Sally’s that were very inexpensive. 
With all that being said, my friend Lauren convinced me that her roommate had done it and had awesome results.  I hopped on You Tube to see the live action and couldn’t believe how it could work so well…even after a couple of months.  So I did it and check it out!
Dried Naturally


Straightened with low heat and just a few passes with an iron...crazy!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment