Stripes

Sunday, September 2, 2012

It's Official....I'm a Nerd


You know it’s funny that I like to read now.  I absolutely HATED to read in school and probably because everything that they made us read I was completely uninterested in.  I didn’t read too much when I was in grad school, but now that I’m done…I’ve turned into a major nerd.  If you’re going through a nerd phase and in need of a good book, thought I would post some of the books I read this summer. 

             The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
      Ebody read it a long time ago, but I never jumped on the bandwagon.  I read it before the movie came out and I’m a little disturbed by it, but a fast and exciting read.

      The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson
 Part of the Girl With a Dragon Tattoo series.  I actually saw the first movie and was really interested in the story line so read the second book and it was fabulous.  I heard the first book was hard to get into and poorly written, but I really liked the second.  I    have the third and started it too, but it’s a little sleepy.  I’ll get through it eventually.

Guilty Wives by James Patterson
WOW!  Never read anything by James Patterson until this book and it was great!  I think I read it in about 2 days if that tells you anything.  An exciting and surprising read. 

Dreaming Out Loud by Bruce Feiler
 Loved this one…probably one of my favorites from this summer.  This is a book written back in the mid-nineties about the country music industry.  At the time, Wynona and Garth were at the height of their career and on the brink of a downfall.  It talks about the pressures of the old business and how country music was really gaining speed in the music industry.  Lots of references to Franklin and Nashville and some of the real players in the country music business.  Really interesting and highly suggest if you’re a country fan and love Nashville.

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
     Good book and has a great message.  It is very poetic and her one thought takes about 7 pages for her to spit it out, but a good book and an uplifting message.

       The Way We Were by Paul Burrell
 This book was written by Paul Burrell who was Princess Diana’s butler.  He wrote one before this and I think he got a lot of bad press about it.  Who knows if everything in this book is true and probably not, but very interesting about the last few years of her life. 

      Kris Jenner and All Things Kardashian by Kris Jenner
Yep, I read it.  She’s not a good writer, but let’s be honest…I didn’t buy this book because it was on the NY Times Best Seller list.  Interesting book.  The beginning is full of grammar errors and a lot of hopping around various subjects.  However, she discusses the OJ Simpson trial a great deal and that is what I found to be most interesting about this book.   
     
      The Beach House by James Patterson
       Quick read once again, his books are murder mystery fantastic exciting reads!

So I think that’s it.  I found this great used bookstore in Memphis (don’t even want to say the name because I don’t want you to raid it and take all the good stuff) and so I read whatever everyone else has already read.  Ok ok, its called BookTrader’s on Quince.  I buy all hardbacks and most are 3.95 or 6.96.  The best find ever!!  I love going in there and my goal is always to come out with an armful of books…and it hasn’t let me down yet.  

1 comment:

  1. I have become SUCH a book nerd too!! And I love your wide variety of books! You should join goodreads.com :)

    ReplyDelete