Stripes

Monday, February 11, 2013

Stand-Off Situation

Three months shy of my last post.  Needless to say, I've fallen a little short on one of my favorite creative outlets!  New jobs come with new schedules and I lack the time for my wanna-be-creative self.  

Last January I set a few goals for myself.  I pledged to get more involved and continue my role with a volunteer organization, completing my masters and buying a guitar.  I am happy to say that two of three I have completed and exceeded.  I finished school and not only got more involved in a  non-profit organization, but accepted it as my life and career!  What more could you ask for?!  Surprisingly this third goal is all talk, no action and constantly on my mind.  Have you ever wanted something so badly, but terrified you would fail?!  That's where I stand with the guitar.  Let's just call it a stand-off situation.  

I struggle with self-promotion, but I will say I am rather musically inclined.  I may not sing every note on pitch, or actively play an instrument, but I do know music.  I know the way it should sound, when it's an epic success and when it's really really bad (insert 90% of top 40).  Music has always been a part of me and I've been involved in some form or fashion throughout my life.  I haven't had tons of formal training, but some.  Luckily, in my opinion, I struggle a bit with reading music unless I'm completely immersed in it, but I can learn music by ear.   I really think that if I bought this guitar, I could figure out the basics and fill in the gaps with lessons.  I'm not saying I'll be a John Mayer or a Jack White, but I would settle for a solid melody that I could sing along to.  

Why is failure so scary and why does it even matter?  Hobbies should be just that, hobbies.  Webster's dictionary defines hobbies as: "a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation."  Well, I can't possibly think of a better thing to pursuit than a hobby you can enjoy on the back porch with friends.  I guess I'll put this back on the short list for 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment