As 2011 has come and gone, I decided I would not have any New Year’s resolutions for 2012. I don’t really like them because everyone always talks about how they are going to change this and that about themselves and then never do. I don’t deny that I have no intention of changing any existing bad habits. I guess if they were truly bad, I might have a different opinion. However, I do like the idea of setting goals…and maybe that’s what people should focus on rather than far-fetched resolutions. It’s okay to have lofty goals, in fact it’s probably better because it gives you something to strive for. So, this year I have some personal goals for myself and also a bucket list for 2012. No, I don’t plan on kicking over any time soon, but I kind of have a check-list of the things I want to get accomplished this year. So I sat down at work today (15 minute break if anyone from work is reading this) and made up a list.
1. Finish MBA. I’m almost done. I start my last core class tonight and then have my capstone in March. Should have this one checked off the list in May!
2. Continue Making Working Out a Priority in My Life. I have done a really great job (except in December and last night when I said I would never go back because I was hurting so bad) of sticking with it and going as often as I can. I think it’s really paying off too. Goodbye love handles! It’s more like a speed bumps now rather than actual handles.
3. Take on a Wish. I started training in May to become a wish granter with Make a Wish. Wish granting is a lot to take on! Unfortunately my school has taken priority over this volunteer work and I plan to accept my first wish right after I finish school. I can hardly wait to take that on, what an honor to be able to tell these children that their dreams are coming true. If only I could grant the wish of being healthy…but Disney World…I got this!
4. Buy a Guitar-the one I am most excited about! I have always been more on the artsy side of the fence. I learned to play piano at a very young age and also played in the band in middle school. Laugh all you want, I don’t care. I was good at it. I am one of those weird people that can hear music and replicate it. I think it’s one of my most amazing traits, but I am so out of touch that I need an overhaul in music to be able to pick up a guitar. So the goal is to first purchase it. I realize it’s going to take me a hot minute to dust off all those beautiful notes that I have forgotten their sound, and I’m OK with that. That’s why learning to play is not necessarily on the bucket list this year. I have no idea how to play, but I figure with some playing on my own and some lessons I can pick it up pretty easily.
My life has turned into, get up, get dressed, make coffee, go to work, go home, workout, dinner, bed. While I am grateful for everything in my life, I want to spice it up. My dreams of becoming a country music singer, have subsided just a bit, but I can’t help but still hear that little voice telling me to pick up a guitar and learn to play it. I highly doubt that Nashville is interested in a 30ish female mediocre vocalist that can play the guitar, but I sure am. I think it’s kind of fab.
I think goals are a better way of approaching a new year. Thinking positive produces positive thinking.
ReplyDelete