Stripes

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Music = My Obsession

 It is no surprise that I am obsessed with music.  I live to talk about it.  I love talking about artists, music lyrics, the meaning of albums and all that weird stuff.  Some of my earliest memories are wrapped around music and how it had such an influence on my life.  My first memory of music was a tape by the Miami Sound Machine, “Primitive Love.”  God what a great album!  My favorite tune was first the “Uh Oh” song or formally called, “Falling In Love” (Uh-Oh). My parents hated that I loved that tape because I would sing “Uh oh Uh oh” all the time.  They always thought I had tipped my juice cup over on the carpet or slammed my finger in something.   I’m pretty sure I was about 3 years old when I fell in love with Gloria Estefan.   the "Uh-Oh" song for all of you who haven't a clue! The next album that I played on repeat was Dolly Parton’s 1982 Greatest Hits.  Let me tell you…that title doesn’t even tell you the half of how great those songs were!   “Here You Come Again” is a song that I still catch myself still singing. Dolly  Then the big one came.  I’m trying to remember the first time I heard her and honestly I can’t tell you.  The album says 1987 and it couldn’t have been too long after the album was released that I became seriously infatuated with….the one...the only….if you know me then you know….DEBBIE GIBSON.  I have absolutely no shame that I sang Debbie Gibson songs at the end of my driveway for years.  I have no embarrassment that I had the hat, tights/skirt, denim jacket and sang “Lost in Your Eyes” at a pre-school talent show.  I am absolutely not scared to tell you that I have every album by her in addition to the official “Out of the Blue” VHS.  I can also tell you that I have mastered a Debbie Gibson dance move.  I love the girl and still get butterflies in my stomach when I hear her. I'll give you my all time favorite Debbie Gibson song...Foolish Beat


After all the obsessions with those ladies, I also have a craving for 60s and 70s rock that grows stronger every year that I get older. (PS Happy birthday Janis Joplin today...she would have been 69). When I was growing up my parents always listened to music.  Little did I know at the time, that they were creating a monster in me and embedding this love for music into my soul.  For years and years we would go up to our rec room and listen to albums.  One of my favorites that I could always convince my Dad to crank up was Derrick and the Dominoes', “Layla.”  The real version, not the Eric Clapton unplugged…I mean electric guitar, drums and the whole crew of Derrick and the Dominoes.  (I know we differ on this Taryn!)  I said for probably 10 years, my first born daughter would be named Layla.  Those were some good Friday nights. ~Layla~

With all of that being said, I feel like I know good music.  I probably lost a few voters with the Miami Sound Machine and Debbie Gibson, but in all seriousness, I know it when I hear it.  My original thought for this blog would be to write about Memphis, but honestly that hasn’t panned out too well.  However, I have a Memphis post!  There is a band coming Saturday night to Brookhaven that you have to check out.  They are a personal favorite.  One of my friends asked me today how I know them.  After I thought about it, we go way back.  I followed this band around since I was 16.  Yep, 16.  I used to have to drive my friends Ashley and Lindsay to see them because they couldn’t even drive yet.  We would all meet up at Wings to Go in Franklin to listen to the John Sutton Band.  Wings to Go was a tiny place with only a few tables, but we would cram in there.  MD, Kyle, Dave, Zane,  Jenny, Ashley and myself were regulars.  We LOVED JSB.  Not only does JSB bring back such great memories to me, but John is an incredible musician.  I highly recommend checking them out at Brookhaven Saturday.  They come to Memphis a couple of times a month, so if you like him (which you will if you like Dave Mathews, Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, Jimi Hendrix, or JSB originals), then you can start coming to all the Memphis shows with me!  PS: if you live near Franklin they play at Buganut Pig a lot.  I have included some links for them so you can check them out!



Here's a little tune to help get ya ready!  So Fine

(Just for old times sake!)


No comments:

Post a Comment