I have had the most amazing day…too amazing not to share. As I have mentioned in a previous post, I went through Make a Wish training this summer. I learned during that time how much of a commitment and how important it would be to be totally available during the wish granting experience. I thought I had decided to wait until after I got done with school to dive into this…until two weeks ago. I got an e-mail from the volunteer coordinator that she needed two people for a 17 year old girl’s wish. As a “wish granter” you go and meet the child, find out what their wish is, fill out a bunch of paperwork and help plan how you’re going to tell them that their wish is coming true. She convinced me that I could handle it with all that I have going on and I caved! Boy am I glad that I did. I met the most amazing young lady tonight. Unfortunately I cannot tell you all the things that make this young woman so amazing, but I will try and give you my biggest take-aways.
What if you were told you had one wish…anything at all, what would you wish for? What if you had no money or distance restriction, what would you wish for? What if you were about to go through a life changing transplant….that might work or might not? This young lady’s wish was really just about being with her family. She asked to go somewhere that a lot of kids ask for, but it wasn’t about the place…it was about her Dad that has traveled hundreds of miles to stay with her and be her support system as she undergoes treatment. She could tell that this is something he wanted them to do together...just him and her. We have to ask her for two wishes, her second one was more about her, but it was the sweetest wish. It was so simple and would seem so attainable for you or for me. But for her, it’s a wish of a lifetime. I cannot describe the feeling I have about this girl. I barely even know her, but I know that she is amazing and that I will never forget her wish or her story.
Hopefully in the next couple of weeks, we will have the funding ready and her trip booked! I can’t wait to plan how I’m going to tell her!
This is awesome!!!!! So glad you're doing this!
ReplyDelete